Thursday, October 23, 2008

Worrisome weight loss


In my world, usually losing weight is a time for celebration! I recently started going to the Sports Academy with my friend, Sarah 3 times a week at 5:30 AM. She's a great, and I mean - great! - workout partner. I don't know if I've ever been so sore in my life (and that includes the day after I ran a marathon!). It's also nice to have some adult interaction during the week. It kind of makes me feel like a normal person again! My goal is to lose 10 lbs. by Christmas... Wish me luck!

Unfortunately, Laurie has started losing weight. On Friday, she started to get extremely upset when we tried to feed her. By Sunday, it was to the point that she was only eating about half of her feedings. We put in a feeding tube to make sure she got everything she needed. We took her in to the pediatrician on Monday. She weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz.! Because she was acting like she had a tummy ache, we decided to give her pedialyte for a day or two to give her stomach a rest and then gradually introduce milk again. The doctor wanted us to take out the feeding tube. He didn't want us to force feed her and she needs to eat so that she doesn't get used to getting full without working for it. We took her back in on Wednesday and she weighed 7 lbs. 9 oz. We tried giving her breast milk, but she would just cry and cry. So we took her in again today. She weighed 7 lbs. 4 oz. Not good. They gave us some lactose free formula to mix with pedialyte. She is starting to eat that really well. We're going in again on Saturday to make sure that she's gaining weight.

Kevin and Haili are both doing extremely well. Haili is OBSESSED with the cello. Whenever I get out my cello to practice, she has to be sitting on my lap and helping me hold the bow. Needless to say, I don't get that much practice time in! She was crying this evening because she wants her own cello. We're hoping to get her a 1/10 Suzuki cello in a few months. I think she'll do really well. This has been the first time in 10 years (excluding my mission) that I haven't been teaching cello lessons regularly! I really do miss it. I just can't take the risk of having Laurie be exposed to any illnesses. I think that's why I'm so excited to get Haili a cello... then I can teach her regularly and it will also help us maintain our sanity this winter! Haili does let me play the piano. One of our favorite evening traditions is sitting in our living room, Kevin holding Laurie on the couch, and Haili sitting with me on the piano bench. I'll play the piano (with occassional help from Haili), and Kevin, Haili, and I will sing primary songs together. Kevin is currently working on his senior project with Everett. They are going to build a solar electrolysis tracking system. Maybe I'll have him write a post explaining what it is and how it works... He has already started applying for jobs! He is only applying for jobs here in Utah. We really want to stay in Utah, as all our family is here and we want to stay close to Primay Children' s Medical Center. We can't believe just how fast this school year is flying by!

Also, if anyone has fun ideas to help me keep Haili entertained... please post a comment! We are basically going to be spending 6 months indoors without any contact with other people... so please help me think of things to do so we don't go crazy! Thanks!

1 comment:

The James Family said...

Hey Patty! (Kerstin here) One thing that Tatum loves is doing puppet shows. It's a great way for kids that age to express creativity. She can make the puppets either out of socks, old gloves, paper lunch sacks...then do princess puppet shows or whatever. I feel like I am somewhat "trapped" too when Ned is out to sea for months on end and I'm just trying to keep the kiddies entertained. Keep hanging in there!